Heartsy

Heartsy - Daily deals on fabulous handmade items, at least 50% off.

Thursday, September 23, 2004

Captain's Log

Some men are born leaders, some have leadership thrust on them, and some become leaders by accident. I think i belong to the last class. And the accident, as told to me very brazenly by someone once, were my Adidas Shoes(soccer shoes). May be that was reason enough for them to make me the captain of the soccer team. But I think I started off with more enthusiasm than anyone else in my batch for this game, and spent a lot of time trying to coax people into playing this game so that I would have someone to play with. That their enthusiasm for it overtook mine later, is another story! The captain of a football team doesn't have as many responsibilities as does the captain of a cricket team, but somehow I felt people giving me undue importance. In my times as a captain, i haven't enjoyed a moment more than the time i lifted the IIIT-A Football tournament running trophy. We danced in mud, we played with it and ate at the swankiest restaurant in town and ate sweet-"PAN". I gifted the smokers of the team packets of cigarettes and treated the non-smokers at the canteen. No moment has been more frustrating than the helpless we faced at being beaten black and blue by an opponent whose supporters out-numbered us 2 to 1, when they were staring at the face of defeat. I haven't been more angry as a captain when a player accused me of corrupt practices, of playing politics against him when he was relegated to the last line of defense. I hadn't been that angry in a long time. I guess I have had to deal with a fair share of politics as well. The best way to deal with politics, I felt, was to do things honestly and with a clear conscience, and with good intentions. Sooner or later people will realize that you are no humbug and you'll have made you point. Out of all the multiferrous experiences i gained from being the captain, one that has left a lasting impression is that a leader has to be a good listener. He cannot and should not discount the views of others and always make space for their ideas and opinions. Especially in a team game, he has to ensure that he has good relations with the rest of the team. The team can do without players letting their game go down due to tensions within the team. I guess i really don't believe in the saying, the captain should lead from the front. I would rather like to believe that a captin should have no problems in letting others lead from the front. A captain is only as good as his team.

If there was one thing that I could change as a captain/player, would be to have stopped K.P. from going over the our supporters side and picking up a nasty fight which would cost both him and us dearly and change our lives for ever.

3 comments:

Suchit Agarwal said...

Nicely written man, u seem to be commanding a huge vocab!
just a piece of advice: always refrain from direct comments. u said one day u had learnt ur lessons from the other episode. dont forget them.

Subhashish said...

What were you thinking eh? The only thing that brought me to this drab nonsensical and mediocre chit-chat of yours, was probably my ignorance. What the f***.
On a more serious note, its good. Just one request, be more substantial in your final remark, where u sign off, if u know what I mean. Just give it more punch from next time on. On the whole, I think it came more from the heart than from the mind. Which I think is the whole purpose of blogging. Keep it up.

Achilles's Heel said...

multiferrous ! what is this
many iron ore tha is what i am to think
enlighten me
anyways sayig hi